Keeping it Close to Home: A Review of State and Local Taxes in a Cross-Border Environment
When doing business in or expanding to the United States, U.S. federal income tax implications and filing requirements are only one of the areas you need to address. However, the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (“IRS”) is not the only tax authority you may need to deal with. In the United States, State and local tax authorities have been aggressively enforcing state income tax and sales and use tax rules for businesses operating on both sides of the border. Pro-active planning and compliance with state and local tax rules is critical to ensure that your business is taxed in a tax-efficient manner and that you are not subject to penalties for non-compliance. In our webinar, we will cover several state and local tax issues and our practical insight on how to best address them.
Here’s just a sample of what we will cover during this webinar:
- Basis for state and local taxation – Nexus, what is it and when it exists?
- What is Public Law 86-272 and its importance for tax planning?
- Overview of U.S. state and local income tax regime;
- Overview of U.S. sales and use tax regime;
- How to effectively manage U.S. state and local tax exposure;
- Key state and local credits and incentives;
- Recent trends and new developments;
- State and local tax compliance – what do you need to know?
- State amnesty programs;
- Practical tips and considerations;
- … and More!
Very truly yours,
U.S. TAX IQ Team