skip to Main Content

The Complexities of Tax Compliance for Canadian Residents Owning a Single-Member LLC in the U.S.

If you are a Canadian individual or corporation who owns a single-member LLC in the United States, it is essential to be aware of potential tax implications and filing requirements. While LLCs are often recommended for Canadians investing in U.S. real estate or conducting business in the United States, navigating the tax landscape can be complex. In addition, making an investment through an LLC could lead to double taxation for Canadian tax residents.

One critical point to remember is that single-member LLCs, where the member is a foreign person (such as a Canadian tax resident), must adhere to stringent U.S. tax filing and reporting requirements. Failure to comply with these requirements or to file on time can lead to significant penalties, sometimes as high as US $25,000 per violation.

Although an LLC is typically disregarded for U.S. federal income tax purposes, recent law changes have subjected the LLC owner to extensive U.S. international information reporting as if the LLC were a separate entity.

A key U.S. international information return that must be filed is Form 5472. Foreign-owned DREs are generally required to file Form 5472 to report certain transactions between the DRE and its foreign owner or other related parties. The IRS uses this form to identify potential tax avoidance schemes and ensure compliance with U.S. tax laws.

In addition to filing Form 5472, a foreign-owned LLC treated as a DRE must file a pro-forma Form 1120, U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return.

For a calendar year-end LLC, the filing deadline for the pro-forma return and Form 5472 is April 15. For the 2022 tax year, the filing deadline is April 18, 2023.

It is always a good idea to consult with a tax professional experienced in cross-border taxation to ensure compliance with all applicable tax laws and regulations.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that the information contained in this article is general in nature, is current only as of the date of posting the respective information on the website, and does not (nor is intended to) provide legal or tax advice or an opinion on any matter or issue discussed. You should consult your qualified U.S. tax advisor for any advice on any matters or issues discussed in this article. 

Back To Top