On August 24, 2021 at 12:00 pm (Eastern Time), join us for a free webinar with Alexey Manasuev, LL.M. (Int’l Tax), NYU, TEP, a U.S. tax attorney and Principal of U.S. Tax IQ, who will discuss various aspects of FIRPTA withholding, why it is important to understand the applicable rules and requirements, and how to proactively accelerate one’s refund for overwithheld U.S. taxes. This is Part 3 of a Three Webinar Series designed to provide Canadian investors in U.S. real property with the tax tools they need to save on U.S. taxes when selling or otherwise disposing of their U.S. real property investment.
Topics Covered in This Webinar
Owning U.S. real estate can result in significant benefits for Canadians, both in terms of additional rent revenue or the continued opportunity to vacation in a warmer climate during the cold Canadian winters. U.S. real estate investments have been on the rise for Canadian individuals and international investors. Wrong tax structures may prove costly down the line, especially on exit. In this webinar, we will review the FIRPTA withholding framework that applies in case of sale or disposition of U.S. real property, as well as techniques that can be used to mitigate the FIRPTA withholding impact.
Here’s just a sample of what we’ll cover during this webinar:
- Overview of FIRPTA withholding regime and how it applies to Canadians selling their U.S. real property.
- Why structuring your U.S. real estate investment matters when you sell your U.S. real property?
- Common mistakes and misconceptions about FIRPTA withholding;
- IRS Withholding Certificate application process;
- FIRPTA withholding notification requirements;
- Strategies on successful management of FIRPTA withholding;
- U.S. tax compliance considerations when reporting your sale;
- Practical tips and considerations.
- … and more!
Who Will Benefit From Attending This Webinar?
This webinar is intended for individuals, business owners, businesses, their trusted advisors and tax professionals. The content is especially relevant to U.S. tax and Canadian tax advisors who are assisting their clients in addressing U.S. tax and cross-border implications when selling their U.S. real property.
To learn more, please register and gain the knowledge you need to help your clients understand the cross-border business framework and to effectively manage their potential U.S. tax exposure. Plus, you can earn up to 1 CPD credit (relevant to Canadian CPAs). We hope you join us!